Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cruising Season on the Lachine Canal

I accidentally deleted the previous post of this photo, taken by my friend Karin, on one of the first fine spring Sunday afternoons of 2010. It absolutely bears reposting. I'm only sorry I lost the reader comment at the same time.
The photo was taken while she was out for a stroll with her mother along  the Lachine Canal.

Dozens of cars, refrigerators, bikes and more than a few guns were hauled out of the canal in the 1990s as the old industrial waterway underwent a massive clean up.  There is a thick layer of toxic sludge at the bottom of the canal, a reminder of the days when the canal banks were lined with tanneries and other heavy industry.

The Lachine Canal National Historic site reopened to kayakers and boaters in 2002. The bike path is hugely popular with weekend pedallers, bladers and strollers. Now I've seen it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, in an effort to cut down on spam, I will now be moderating comments prior to publication. If you're a real person with a real comment or question, I'll get to you as soon as I can. Thanks!